On Being Brave

One of the most intimidating experiences for people new to working out is going to the gym. It's like entering a foreign country where people speak an entirely different language than you're familiar with- heartrate zones, HIIT, deadlifts, squats, 21s, sumos, push presses- what in the world are people talking about?

I'm getting a lot of emails from friends and acquaintences in the last few weeks that all share this same anxiety. And you know what? It's completely normal!

If you haven't worked out before or you're only familiar with the exercises you did in high school (or in some cases, college), you'll have a natural inclination to only do what you already know. You'll stay away from things you haven't used, haven't done, or have never seen in your life. Human nature is predictable in that way.

It's intimidating to overcome that  mindset but you have to do it. What you'll find is that it's your own mind and insecurities talking you out of doing things before you even start. I hear "BUT PEOPLE ARE WATCHING ME!!!" all the time. Hey, I remember that feeling. It was particularly intimidating to be a girl in the freeweight area. I felt like I was crashing a frat party or something.

I grew up hearing "Put on your brave hat" from my mother 10,000 times while growing up when I was scared to do something. I'm nearly 31 years old now and I still occasionally hear my mother's voice in my head when I'm feeling leery of something. Maybe that phrase will help someone else out there too!

Guys, I promise you this: You might feel like someone is watching you when you're training, you may feel like someone is judging you, etc. In reality: People are just looking around/glancing at other human beings like they do anywhere else. I promise you that nobody at the gym gives a flying crap what you're doing. Barring you doing something with such hideous form that you risk injury or paralysis, nobody is paying attention.  Everyone else is so busy paying attention to their own business so they can get in, get their work done, and head home. I promise you nobody is watching you going "What are THEY doing here?!?! GOD THEY SHOULD JUST GO HOME."

Everyone belongs in the gym. Everyone. We all start somewhere.

You, person reading this, are just as worthy of being at the gym as anyone who has been going twice a day for 10 years. You are worthy. And you can do this. Never, ever believe for a moment that you don't belong just because you're not a size XS or because you can't lift as heavy as the guy putting up 110 dumbbells next to you. Don't worry if the person on the treadmill is walking with ease at 4.0 mph and a 5% incline and you can barely walk comfortably at 2.9 mph with your treadmill flat. It doesn't matter. Do YOUR level best and forget about anyone else!

I work with my cell on silent when I'm at the office. Yesterday I glanced down at it at 4:45PM and saw I had a voicemail from a dear friend of mine. This is someone who has struggled with being brave and going to the gym because she worries people are going to judge her for being there. Her anxiety in regards to embarrassing herself or looking stupid/out of place is absolutely crippling to her. She's been battling this problem since 2007 or 2008. I can't tell you how many times I've told this woman that she is just as deserving as being at the gym as anyone else.

She had called me for an emergency pep talk and I could hear in her voice that she was distressed I didn't answer. Her voice was trembling a little as she explained that she was sitting in the parking lot outside of her gym and needed help to get the courage to go inside. I felt horrible I'd missed the call, but then something amazing happened: she pep talked HERSELF on my voicemail!

"So you're not answering, I guess. But... I can do this... right? Yes. I can. I can do this. I can do this! Screw it, I'm going in! *click*"

YES.

I'm so proud of this woman, it's ridiculous!!!!

Sometimes you can dig in deep and give YOURSELF the encouragement and pep talk you're looking for. You just have to be willing to listen. You don't need me, you don't anyone else, to get your tush out of that car.

Be brave, my little grasshoppers. It will get easier and the gym won't seem scary or intimidating after a VERY short period of time.

Stick to your guns. Have courage. Give yourself the benefit of the doubt.

Get out of your car and go inside. Your new life and body is waiting for you!

Make it a great Wednesday!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Honoring Your Need for Peace in 2019

Being Single in an Online Society

The Battle Within