Standing Your Ground

When I started in the fitness world, I was a little naive and didn't know anyone-- and locally, I literally knew no one. I knew people from fitness message boards who lived across the country, but no one in the Minneapolis area. It was pretty intimidating.

It's funny that no matter who you are, you tend to feel like a kid in high school when you're introduced to a new environment. You're desperate to not feel like a loner and just want to blend in. It's no different at (then) 26 than it was at 16 year old-- everyone wants to belong!

If you're starting out into the fitness industry this year, be warned: There are politics and there are cliques. I wasn't aware of this when I first ventured in. People are going to try to sway you one way or the other- for or against a specific group, person, or organization. I have been semi-tangled into other people's personal vendettas in the fitness industry two or three times since 2008 and it's an icky place to be. It can cause tension in otherwise good friendships, it can cause you much stress, and you can really burn some good working relationships if you don't handle yourself with professionalism and a little toughness.

One of my biggest regrets is allowing myself to be swayed by others one way or the other in the past. There are a lot of good people out there who I was told were one thing and they turned out to be the complete opposite once I got to know them. Some people who I were told were weirdos were actually AMAZING people. Conversely, some people who I told were wonderful have turned out to be absolute poison-- people who lived here AND out of state. I wasted numerous years allowing myself to get caught up in other people's dramas/opinions of me, or when an expectation came down upon me to make a stand even though it didn't involve me specifically. It made me crawl out of my skin with anxiety.

I'm an honest person. Annnnnnd I hate confrontation. Seriously, I'm the biggest confrontation-dodger on the planet. I also, being the wussy Pisces I am, am intimidated pretty easily. This makes me the perfect candidate to be agreeable and go with the crowd in order to keep the boat I'm currently standing in steady. My willingness to be adaptable is a good quality, but it can really cause me to be disappointed in myself for being a little spineless in a time where my character should be shining. If this is you, too, beware... you may find yourself in similar situations. As I've gotten older, I've found it's much easier to do but when I was new, it was really easy to fall into an agreeable mode. Stand up for yourself and people who have been good to you or done things right, and it will always pay you back 10 times for the effort you put in.

Stay open-minded and let people's behaviors and character speak for themselves before you make an opinion about them. Just because Person A treated Person B like X (or you heard that) does not mean that will happen to you. You'll learn how tick within 5 minutes of talking to them. I have met some people out there fueled by hope, I have met people who are fueled 100% by rage, revenge, and hate. You'll instinctively know who to surround yourself with. Be leery of people who need to tear other people down. Be leery of people who only complain. Be leery of people who seek your advice and then completely disappear. You may step on toes by refusing to participate, but it ultimately better for you in the long run as a professional

Standing your ground and refusing to participate in the darker side of the fitness industry can be a lonely road. You can wish other people well and it doesn't mean they're bad people, but distancing yourself is best so you don't get sucked into a political drama that you don't want to be tangled in. Stay away from the snake pit and you'll thank yourself later. Cheer each other on and mean it. Be happy for other people and the opportunities that come their way. You'll be so much more content!

Having courage can be tough sometimes. Taking the high road can be even tougher.  Stick to your guns and you'll find yourself much happier and drama-free over the expanse of your career.

Make it a great Tuesday!
Abby

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Honoring Your Need for Peace in 2019

Being Single in an Online Society

The Battle Within