Revealing the Illusion of Modeling

"Abby, did you know that you're the 4th person in Google images if you search for 'fitness model'?!" a friend of mine asked in an email.

Me: "Whaaaaaat..... No way. That's absurdity you're speaking."

And sure enough...



This is phenomenon is absolutely bizarre to me. I've never won a show. I haven't done anything. That picture is from 2012. How does this even happen? I don't have a clue.

"Modeling" is the most misleading word ever. Anyone can be a model. Every single person of all ages, shapes, and sizes that you see in commercials and print ads are models or talent through an agency. It's a complete misnomer. People hear "model" and assume perfection. I can tell you right now, nobody is perfect.

Besides that, it's an illusion and makes people think you're way more interesting than you are.

Don't get me wrong. Doing shoots and everything is really fun, but I cringe if people introduce me to a social group as "This is Abby, she's a model!" I'm so much more than that! I'm really smart, I'm extremely hardworking, and I'm a self-made business owner. Think anyone could guess that if I'm just introduced as a model? Probably not!

The word "model" conjures so many images and stereotypes. It automatically causes people to make assumptions about my work ethic, education level, morals, etc. Getting in front of a camera is an EXTREMELY part-time gig for me. As in, I only do 1-3 shoots a year. That's it.

Yes, you need professional images to brand yourself when you're a business owner, and more specfically, I need these for when my articles go up. But the last thing on earth that I want people to solely know me as is "a model". I need to do these things and participate in this aspect of life to continue to market and grow my brand. But anyone who knows me personally know I don't take any of that seriously. Let alone myself.

The Illusion
This was me this morning. This is me every morning. Squinty, puffy eyes, next to no eyebrows, insane "Castaway" hair. So stunning. So squinting. So needing a shower.



The normal human version of me looks nothing like the professional photos I have.




Actually this brings to mind my favorite reminder of what modeling actually is:



My point is, don't get wrapped up in comparing yourself to images in magazines, Facebook, or anything else. People are just people. Models are just people. It makes me sad when people get down on themselves for not being perfect. 

Fitness Model Fun Facts

Fitness models in particular are guilty of secretly perpetuating the farce. 
  • We pay to shoot. Very, very few make money doing shoots.
  • It gives the illusion of perfection when we're not.
  • The vast majority of us do not walk around in day-to-day life as lean as we are for stage or shoots.
  • The majority of fitness models are broke or in debt from a combination of competitions and paying for shoots.

I don't walk around shoot-lean at all. People are under the impression that I'm 10% bodyfat all the time. I'm not. I'm up a solid 10-15 lbs at a given time, mainly just because I don't care enough to try to stay this little. I would love to, but real life calls, and that usually entails having some balance.



And furthermore:



Don't compare yourself to people in magazines or on fitness sites. If you had a professional makeup artist and an experienced photographer, you could look like a million bucks too.

I'M A "MODEL."






If my professional photos stated who I actually am, I don't think anyone would really care to publish them or run my articles.



"Models" are just people. Anyone who tries to convince you otherwise is wrapped up in the image and forgot who they are.


The reason I'm writing this is it makes me sad that so many people lose themselves in comparing themselves to an image that doesn't really exist. Never fall victim to the trap. It's dress-up. It's very part-time dressup and it doesn't make anybody more special or different than you. Trust me!


I hope you have a spectacular weekend!

Love and light,
Abby the "model"



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Honoring Your Need for Peace in 2019

Being Single in an Online Society

The Battle Within