On Courage and Resilience

Do you consider yourself to be brave?

I don't. Most people don't.

Sure, you can fake it when you need to. You can pretend you're tough as nails and that there isn't a small child hiding somewhere inside of you, praying someone doesn't call you out on your B.S.

But deep down... do you have courage?

The answer is yes. I don't even have to know you personally. You could be a total stranger that just stumbled across this blog. You, miss or sir, have been through some sh*t. I don't know the first thing about you and I know that you have it. I don't think people are born with it, I think we're required as members of the human race to acquire it on our own- not only for survival but to truly LIVE!

My Mom always calls me brave and courageous and it makes me giggle. I have my moments but anyone who knows me personally knows that I'm the most open, oversensitive baby on the planet. I wear my heart on my sleeve. I'll share my stories, no matter how personal, with just about anyone. Because truthfully, at this point in my life, I'm okay with my scars. If someone is going to judge me for decisions and being relatively filterless, I'm okay with that. I know who I am and I know who I'm not.  I have made WOEFULLY bad decisions in my life, and twice as many good ones. I'm not going to apologize for it either. Call it stupid, call it whatever you want. But it's how I tick and it's who I am. I don't wear a mask. I am the same person around my family as I am my friends, the same person on a first date as I am at my job, and the same person on an interview as I am when I'm poking around on Facebook. Since when has being a consistent person become considered courageous? In a society of people masquerading around like they're bulletproof, when has the standard become so low that it's considered strange if you're open about yourself, your mind, your experiences, and your heart?

I sincerely think that needs to change.

Being courageous in your life doesn't have to mean stepping out in front of a truck to save someone else or rescuing people from a burning building. Are you brave enough to leave your house without a mask? Do you know who you are? Do you still love yourself despite your successes and failures?

Courage means so many things to so many different people. Experiences and challenges form this in us like a piece of clay on a pottery wheel. It's always changing shape and depth. Let's be honest: we can set out to sculpt something completely different than what we end up with as it spins in front of us. That, my friends, is life. And usually, finding your courage involves some resilience on your part. Confused on what I mean?

The longer our lives endure, the more it seems to throw us curveballs. Anyone who knows me personally can tell you I have been tossed through a paper shredder, pieced myself together again, only to be tossed into a mulcher instead. Life is HARD. Life is joy and rejection, pain and disappointment, surprises and bills we can't pay, but it's also about discovering inner resolve and strength and not being afraid to talk about it.




Resilience is the glue that allows you to piece yourself back together.
Courage is the foundation that makes you get up and try again.

From job loss to broken hearts, stinging disappointments to raw rejection, life requires you to gain courage. After all, you were put on this earth for a reason. I know that it seems like life is a massive Rubix cube and we're all shuffling around trying to figure out where we belong. But in this case, you can't just peel off the stickers and cheat.





It's going to take some work and resilience on your part to find where you belong. Because the sooner you realize that finding your place is no more than an outlet needing the right plug, the happier you'll be. The right outlet will FILL you with life and energy!



There is a purpose and a plug for each of us, each and every day. And if the current plug you're linked to is draining you instead of energizing you, you've found the wrong one. Keep trying. It's okay if you haven't found yours yet!

I don't care who you are, what you've been through, or what you believe; you have courage.And you are resilient. Use it to your advantage. No matter what happens to you, you can't just throw in the towel and hide. Life and time fly by too fast.

Be brave, my friends. You're tougher than you think.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Honoring Your Need for Peace in 2019

Being Single in an Online Society

The Battle Within