Re-starting the Engine!

I don't know about you guys but sometimes I just get stuck in a routine. I love routine but I become a slave to my schedule and diet. Or at least it feels that way. Aspects of my life are more flexible than others-- it's okay if I miss the gym for a little bit but my diet has to be dang close to contest clean if I want to get away with that. Even then, I'm fairly lax.

I'm the first to admit it: I'm a flawed individual. I have lots of vices and guilty pleasures that I, as a fitness competitor and a role model for other people, have absolutely NO business partaking in. Trust me. I love ice cream and things that are terrible for me as much as anyone else.

I seem to go through this funk every summer. I'm not entirely sure why, but I get a little "blerg" about training/eating clean in the summertime. It seems fairly counter intuitive, I know, but I'm most motivated in the fall and winter. Most people feel the pressure to get in the shape of their lives in the summer. For me (and it likely has to do with contest time), I do my best training in every season BUT the summer. I usually get on stage on the fall or spring and I end up taking the summers off.

I'm no different than anyone else. I burn out, guys. I really do. I train two, sometimes three times per day for weeks leading up to a show (all 30-45 min workouts, not HOURS at a time) and that is tough with a full time job. Plus the food prep, skincare, making sure I get enough sleep, supplementation, etc etc. When I'm getting ready for a show, it consumes me completely for four months. Day in, day out. I have a mental checklist of everything I have to remember to do on an hourly basis. It's very taxing emotionally, physically, and mentally. I love it, but it's a ton of work.

Taking time off is nothing to feel guilty about. I had to take some time off (significant time) to do goal reassessment in conjunction with where I am on a personal level. I reluctantly pulled the Las Vegas show in November off the table last week because there is just 0% chance that I'm going to be able to do that show and stay sane. I'm moving in a month. My car is on its final legs (it broke down 5 times on 35W last week, no big deal) due to an electrical problem that is totally inconsistent. So I HAVE to get a new car. I don't feel safe and winter is looming. There is no feasible way to pay for a show, move, and get a new vehicle... all before November. Nope, nope, nope. Not worth being financially miserable the next fourish months in order to be on stage for a grand total of 5 minutes.

I found a show in a different organization I'm going to take a stab at next spring and I'm looking forward to it. It should be a good change of pace and gives me ample time to train WITHOUT stressing myself out, slowly buckle down on my diet, and get everything in order so I can compete with no worries.

I have been damn near perfectly for about 2 weeks. I lifted last night for the first time in about... hmmm... 3 weeks? It felt SO GOOD. My body was practically screaming THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! even while I was stretching beforehand. The post-workout endorphins surged through my system for hours afterwards. I basked in the warmth of a healthy muscle pump til about 10PM last night and felt amazing this morning. It's insane how fast my body responds to the right combination of elements. I feel different and look different in the mirror this morning. That probably sounds insane to you but I really can see it in my face and abs within a few days. If you're new to clean eating and working out, you'll start to notice a difference in your body that quickly too.

It feels so good to have some forward propulsion and feel my metabolism hum like it's supposed to. It feels like home. :)

Empower yourself. Whatever "blah" you're feeling, power through it. 1 victory will start building your momentum. Grab those reigns, kids!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Honoring Your Need for Peace in 2019

Being Single in an Online Society

The Battle Within