Post-Arnold Funk and Finding Motivation

Hello! I haven't blogged in awhile and I figured I ought to check in with you guys.

I competed at the Arnold a few weeks ago and managed to survive. I get asked "How was it??" all the time. Truthfully, kids, I was disappointed with the operation of the show. The expo was fabulous and I met a million great people, no doubt. Unfortunately, the show itself felt extremely unorganized and chaotic. For the amount of time and money put in, I was surprised at the utter lack of fluidity and all the snags. Duplicate athlete numbers in the same class, late show start (nearly an hour past when it was supposed to start), the shuttle service that was supposed to be provided was inconsistent and unreliable from the hotel to the venue (walking 5 blocks in 37 degree weather and a contest tan = not a great deal). I personally feel that the IFBB needs to change the qualifications for the Amateur show to limit the number of athletes. I believe that they need to change it so you need to qualify for the show at a regional level (like Junior Nationals) to keep the number of athletes down in order to assure a reasonable amount of stage time. I was disheartened to discover they eliminated the individual presentations in bikini in order to save time. Over half of the girls that were competing at the show were from somewhere abroad. I cannot imagine investing the amount of money  to attend a show in the U.S if you're from Singapore or Australia and then being told half your score was being eliminated to save time. That would have made me feel quite to awfully hitty and mad.

Regardless, it was the best I've ever looked and I was very happy with the body I came there with, networked, made a bunch of new friends, and had some fabulous shoots. Who can possibly be bummed about that? :) I've set myself up beautifully for the spring/summer/fall competition season and got a great writing gig for bodybuilding.com. Not too shabby!

That being said, I'm in my normal post-show black hole of confusion. It's not so much that my motivation isn't there as it is that I have nothing to direct it towards. It throws you a bit of a loop when you do a contest and suddenly it's over. The compass you were following steadily for months is suddenly gone and I feel a little lost as a person and an athlete. I'm trying to make a decision on what to do. Universe will likely not happen for me this year. I'd like to put some more muscle back on and give myself some time to continue developing my legs. I think I'm going to aim for Vegas, not Miami, this year (it's also much cheaper show to do, truth be told!) since I've never done that show before.

Right now I'm toying with the idea of doing Miss Natural Minnesota here locally. The reality is that I genuinely enjoy competing in figure versus bikini. However, I lost a lot of my mass while prepping for the Arnold and there is not much time to get ready for a show in May at this point. There is 0% chance I'm doing figure in that organization this little. So... I'm feeling a little lost. Spring/summer are generally defined by getting ready for a show in June-- I guess this time I'll just focus on putting on some size and leaning out for November.

I'm a goal-oriented person and much of my life feels a tad lost at sea when I have nothing to focus on. I've been pretty good since I got home from Columbus-- took a week off from training and have eased back into it gradually. Diet isn't too different except for on the weekends. (Okay, straight-up... I was a delinquent last weekend. Don't even ask me about the food and drinks I had last weekend, oy!!) Training feels good and my body feels recovered from being so beat up leading up to the show. I'm ready to turn the page.

Anyone else out there floundering a bit? I'm just ready for spring, ready for change, ready for something new. I need some motivation and fresh air breathed into me. Truthfully, I'm restless. I find myself irritated for absolutely no reason. Yes, this could 100% be because I'm a crazy female, but this really is sort of a cabin fever restlessness that I struggle with every year.

So let's all focus on the good things that are coming together, shall we?
  • Melting snow
  • Reese's pb cups in the shape of Easter eggs
  • Walks and runs outside
  • A few months with no bees or mosquitoes terrorizing our souls
  • People walking new puppies
  • The ability to sprint on football fields again soon
  • Girls wearing ridiculously impractical outfits to walk Lake Calhoun (oh sure, I ware 6 inch glitter shoes and short sundresses for casual strolls all the time!) and delicious, shirtless men walking around flaring their lats. And yes, guys, I'm staring at you like a creeper out of my peripheral vision and I don't care.
  • The sun is up later and later. Gotta love that!
  • My birthday is on Monday! (Where the hell did 30 go?!)
Grin and bear it, guys, spring is right around the corner-- just a little ways to go!
Abs

Comments

  1. Abby, I always love reading your material. You continue to be a terrific writer, and an inspirational mentor. That I even KNOW someone who competes is amazing. Thank you for letting me into your world a bit, from your recountings of shows, etc. I too am in a bit of a funk. Started the year on a good roll going to the Y seven times a week, but now I'm down to 4 a week. A new dating interest may be having some affect on that, but like you; I (and many others)too can get the spring blues. How about writing a bit about your Isogenix journey. I'm interested to hear more about that, as well as other supplements you might recommend to a "non-competing" wantabe who's going to be 62 this year and seems like the weight just never disappears. I feel stronger the more I work out on machines and the stationary bike (treadmills seem to kill my knees at this age) and I would like to turn some attention to free weights but feel safer in the confines of the strings and pulleys of the machines.

    Keep up the writing. It's inspiring to all of us, and I'm sure gives you another outlet for your creativity (which you have much of).

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet of you, Pete-- I appreciate it. I'm an Isagenix junkie without a doubt. :)

    Weights are a great plan and will help with bone density in the long run. If the treadmill hurts, pop on the bike or an elliptical. It's never too late to start!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Honoring Your Need for Peace in 2019

Being Single in an Online Society

The Battle Within