Self Discipline and the Ability to say "No."

Anyone else feel that American culture, while fabulous, lacks a certain level of self-discipline that you see in other parts of the world? I'm not just talking about how we spend our money and the obvious entitlement mentality that seems to be permeating different generations. I'm speaking of the "I want it now but I don't want to do the work" mentality.

Where did this go in our minds and hearts?

In a fast-food and American Idol nation, where is the drive to actually DO the things that people set out to do? Since when is it weird to make a goal and stick to it, and why does it make you a bit of a social outcast to have some drive to have some physical or athletic goals?

It seems like everything has gotten so backwards. You're often looked at with judgement if you have the drive to make something of yourself and not give up. It's sad to me that it's become completely socially acceptable for people to make resolutions and goals and give up on them after 2-3 weeks. Listen to the advertisements on the radio right now! How many are them are directed towards comforting people who fell off their weight loss New Years Resolutions?

One of the most wonderful and simple things that you can learn is the ability to simply say "no." It doesn't have to be on big decisions, either! Baby stepping your way is the best way to make any lifestyle change. What does this look like for the average person?

Saying "no" to dessert when you're out at a restaurant when you know you already had a huge one yesterday at home with your family.
Saying "no" to watching TV for 4 hours a night and saying "yes" to moving your body for 30 minutes.
Saying "no" to happy hours that you know may curb you away from healthy diet habits you're still learning.
Saying "no" to having foods in your home that you'll default to when you're feeling bored, lazy, or like you don't want to cook.

"No" doesn't have to be a bad thing. It doesn't have to mean you're deprived. It just means you're diffusing an emotional bomb before it has a chance to go off later. It's a matter of planning and thinking ahead.

"No" is simply having the ability to set boundaries for yourself and sticking to them. And I'll be honest with you: that is not common in this culture anymore. Don't believe me? Try getting in shape when you're surrounded by people with bad diets and no exercise habits. After awhile, the snarky comments and judgments will start appearing in conversations about your progress. Why? Because YOU have harnessed your inner ability to make a goal and STICK to it, even with social pressures applied, and it makes people aware of their own lack of self-discipline. It often makes other people around you feel insecure so they have to find a way to claw you down or make you doubt yourself.  The saddest part about it is that 90% of the time, these people probably aren't even consciously trying to do it. It just happens. Remember that your ability to say "no" has nothing to do with anyone else, so do NOT let anyone sway you off the path you're on.

I was a competitive swimmer in high school and college. Swimming, like track, is a team sport by definition but is truly an individual sport. It's not like football or baseball where you have to count on your teammates to work together to avoid errors and make good plays. We practiced together as a team and had meets, but the truth of the matter is that my performance was 100% up to me and NO ONE ELSE the moment my feet left the starting block.

I'm grateful for the athletic background that I have because it's allowed me to have the self discipline to work as hard as I do for contest preps. I technically have had coaches and trainers but they are NEVER with me when I train. I get my program and I do it, they aren't there to make sure I'm getting my workouts in. They know I'll do it. Training has never been my problem-- I can do that all day every day. The food factor, however, is still something I'm adjusting to. And I've been at this since 2008! I love cheesecake, martinis, and sushi as much as the next person. It's very easy for me to fall back into old habits (let's not forget that I use to be 190 lbs!) and put weight back on. Healthy eating doesn't have to be boring, but healthy eating doesn't mean you get to have 4 cheat meals a week.

My point in all of this is that you have to have reasonable self-discipline to be successful in anything you do. The strength of your own resolve is, without any exceptions, 100% your OWN decision. Most people are much stronger than they give themselves credit for, too!

I constantly hear "Oh, I could never do what you do" or "Oh man I could never eat like you do."  Uh, sure they could. They just don't. You either want it badly enough or you don't. It's truly that simple. Trust me, guys, I'm no better and no more special than anyone else walking around on this rock; I just want it more than most and I've harnessed that desire and put to use. You can do it too!

Don't fear having to say "no" to things. Don't overwhelm yourself with anxiety and worry when it comes to walking away from temptation or scenarios where you could be setting yourself back. A simple shift in mentality can make a lifetime of good and bring you opportunities and happiness that you haven't even seen coming your way yet.

Have a fabulous Thursday!
Abby

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Honoring Your Need for Peace in 2019

Being Single in an Online Society

The Battle Within