The Power of YOU

Everyone has a different fitness journey. We have different starting pints when we set out, varying goals, and differing plans of getting from point A and point B.

In addition to this, we all have different support system around us. Some people will take your goals seriously and others will force a smile and openly meet you with skepticism when they find out what you're trying to accomplish.

The reality is simple: People either will support you or they won't. It's really that black and white.

After completing my triathlon in 2008, I sat my family down one night and told them my plans of competing. I showed them photographs of figure competitors and explained I was planning on getting on stage that fall. My sister was excited (she'd known about competitiors before I did) and her support was loud and immediate.

My Dad. however, tore me apart. "I can't believe you're going to do this. This is the STUPIDEST thing you've ever done, Abby. You should know better than to do something like this! You're smarter than this!" My Mom was afraid and skeptical. She wanted to be supportive but it was so alien and scary from anything I'd ever tried before, the panic and worry was palpable as she asked me questions.

"Why would you want to do something like this?!?!" exclaimed my Dad, "WHY?!?!?!"

Through my tears, all I could say repeatedly was "Because I want to."

I was 26 years old at the time. I knew the anger from my father was 100% from a lack of information. Both of my parents were concerned about eating disorders, starvation, and steroids. Still, it hurt to be met with such a lack of support from the two people I wanted to count on the most.

I knew it was up to me to prove them wrong. They were going to have to see me eat nonstop in order to understand that just because my body would look different, I wouldn't be sick. I was goign to be happier and this was a huge emotional and phyiscal challenge I needed to put myself up to. It was up to me to do this, with or without the support of some of the people in my life. I was already scared to death to try competing. What if I hated how I looked? What if I looked bad? What if I did all that work and it didn't pay off? I'd never worn a bikini in my LIFE, what if I looked awful in one?!

As the first few months of my first show prep passed, my mom got on board. She didn't get it but she did her best to ask questions and understood HOW MUCH I was actually eating and how much more confident I was growing.

I stepped on stage for the first time in November of 2008 with my parents and sister beaming with pride in the audience. While the show itself was a strange place to be for them and they didn't fully "get" what my driving force was to get up there, they were there for me.



A few years later, Dad asked me why I kept getting on stage when I kept walking away with no wins. It's nearly 2013 and I still have no titles or trophies to my name.

Four years later, they get it. I saw a potential for something in myself that scared and interested me when I thought about it. I dared to chase my own vision and not give up. I figured out sometime around 2010 that trophies and titles are meaningless. Making it in the fitness industry is so much more than a judging panel or having a $40 trophy on your shelf.

My point in sharing this is that you might have to chase your goals (fitness or otherwise) without the blessing of those you love the most. Sometimes you have to understand your vision and make others understand it too- not vice versa. It's going to take time, sacrifice, and patience. Nothing happens quickly. Self-belief is the fuel that has to fire the furnace in you. No one else is going to do the work. No one else is going to start it for you. No one but you is going to determine if you get your ass in the car and get to the gym. No one but you decides what you feed yourself. 

Never underestimate the power of your own will. Other people will fall into place the moment you decide to go forward with your plan anyways. People will doubt you. People will question you. People will inject fear, doubt, and shame in you. People will try to make you doubt yourself because they're threatened by your ability to self-start.
,
Throw on your blinders, hit the mute button, and press forward.

Comments

  1. Great article to read on 12/31/2012. Starting my Y membership today. I have no dreams to be on stage, but you are the one I continually am reminded of at how successful one can be. Your trophy? This blog, you, and the inspriration you bring others. Keep blogging, and thank you and Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Honoring Your Need for Peace in 2019

Being Single in an Online Society

The Battle Within