Random tale (Not a fitness tale).

A few years ago, my ex and I ran to Petsmart to grab stuff for our kitties. You know, the normal stuff: food, toys, etc. This was a pretty standard errand in our lives.

We are both hardcore lovers of all things cute and we always hated going past the adoption area of pet stores because we wanted to bring all of them home. We are total animal people and want one of everything.

Against our better judgement and our normal rule, we entered the adoption area and promptly fell in love with every cat in every cage. Some of them were friendlier than others but they were all sweet in their own way. There were four cats in the top row and three on the bottom. Some were more engaged and personable than others (but that's cats for you, right?)

As I passed each kitty to give them an individual, awkward scratch through the bars of the kennels, one of them reached out with a meow and hooked onto my sweater with her little claws.

She was a gorgeous, sleek 2-year-old black cat. She had vivid emerald eyes. Her coat was healthy and shiny. She was just a stunning animal. My ex and I stood side-by-side and played with her through the door of the kennel and fell in love with her by the minute. She was headbutting our fingers and she'd meow and reach out to us on her back feet if we tried to move away to greet any other animals in the room.

10 minutes pass. We were both unable to bring ourselves to walk away from this cat. We already had 3 at home (he had two, I have one) and we quietly bantered on if we could possibly bring a fourth into our apartment without all hell breaking loose. "But she was so sweet!" I said, "What could go wrong?"

My ex retrieved an employee to open the kennel for us to hold her. We both were teary eyed with love and so excited to hold her. The Petsmart employee gently fished her out of the kennel and placed her in my open arms.

I looked into the kitty's green eyes and said "Hi beautiful!", looking to my ex with the most maternal, emotional look ever mustered.

With effortless grace, the previously sweet, beautiful black cat sunk her teeth into my cheek, bit my shoulder, and clawed the living shit out of me to scamper over my  shoulder to get back in her kennel. She curled up in an angry, shaking ball and looked at me with hatred and let out a snarl.

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd nope.

Thus ending the tale of "The day we almost adopted another cat."

The end.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Honoring Your Need for Peace in 2019

Being Single in an Online Society

The Battle Within